Thursday 3 November 2011

Describe how you developed your skills in the use of digital technology for media production and evaluate how these skills contributed to your creative decision making. Refer to a range of examples in your answer to show how these skills developed over time

To produce my music magazine in AS, I used a range of digital technology to help me make it.  At first I had no idea how to use the technology that was used on the laptops but the ancillary task helped me to learn a lot and progressed whilst producing my coursework.

The first piece I had to produce was an advert for perfume, and because it was my first time using some of the technology such as Photoshop it didn’t go very well. I got my ideas from TV adverts and advertisements in magazines which helped me to come up with a creative idea. The ancillary task was a college magazine, this also did not go well as I still wasn’t used to the tools in Photoshop, but it gave me time to experiment to get ready for the real coursework.

 Through my first year doing media, I attended a lot of gigs, which then I took my camera to take photos of the artists, I was not using photography skill because I was taking the photos not accurately but some of the photos did look really good, so I was able to use them within my magazine.  Because I took a lot of photos, on the contents page I was able to make up page names because the photos I took gave me ideas. When taking the photo of my model who was appearing in my magazine, this increased my photo skills because I had to decide what shots I needed and were to take the photos.  

When planning my research I looked at various different magazines on the internet and looked at a few proper ones. The magazines that gave me ideas to create mine were Kerrang and AP. Because I had access to these I was able to create a magazine that suited my genre.  Before this coursework, I already had known how to use the internet for years, but I was searching for different things this time so, I had to search a lot until I found the right information I was looking for.

Secondly I had to learn how to use Photoshop, because this was the main program I made my magazine on. I didn’t understand really how to use it at first, but our first practice task we had to do, helped me have experience with it before I started to make the real product, so it would not slow me down. I had to decide what font text I wanted to use¸ which was hard because I kept wanting to change it, and because I had access to the internet on a laptop I was able to use sites that gave me a various choice in different fonts. Deciding what the house style was going to be like was also quite difficult, but as I progressed using Photoshop it became easier. If I hadn’t of used Photoshop I wouldn’t have been able to have the house style design I had.  Before putting some work onto Photoshop, sometimes I had to use Paint which made it easier.  The main image on my front cover had to be Photoshopped because if not it would have made my magazine look quite tacky. This program also made it easier to change things I didn’t like on my coursework, because I did a lot of moving things around.

Whilst producing my coursework, I had to use blogger to make a blog¸ so I could post all my work in stages. At first I didn’t post a lot but then I got used to the idea that I had too, and carried on.  Blogger helped me so I could keep track on what stage I was up to and to keep my work organized.  This was a big help also because I could access this on any computer anywhere I was like at home, which I could keep up with my work and not get behind on it.

Whilst making this coursework, most of my time was spent on either a laptop or a computer, this is a major benefit because it meant I could get my work done a lot quicker, such as planning, and information was easier to find on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment